My brother’s on the lookout for a blazer or sportcoat, but he’s got some very specific requirements and constraints. Here’s a list of criteria and I’m all ears to people’s suggestions:
- Size: 40S or could be a 40R, however, the jacket would have to be cut shorter like a lot of more “trendy” brands tend to do right now
- Flap pockets, no patch pockets
- Unconstructed shoulder, because he’s already got bulky, athletic shoulder and doesn’t need padding up there
- A slimmer fit in the torso, however, not super slim in the arms. Again, athletic build in the bicep that’s not going to work with skinny sized stuff.
- Color: black (I know, I know, but he’s an architect and that’s what’s cool)
- Material: something mid-weight. Could be cotton and partially lined for summer, or used to layer under during the winter. If anything, lighter is preferable than heavier.
- Two-button, notched lapels. (He doesn’t like 3/2 rolls)
For some background, he’s tried a few Italian brands off of Yoox, but the arms have been too tight and these slim cuts just aren’t working with his athletic build. If he sizes up, the shoulders are off and if he sizes regularly, the armholes aren’t big enough.
Given his unique frame, I’ve encouraged him to save his money and perhaps try something made-to-measure, however, if someone out there has a suggestion, then I’d be interested to pass that along. Price is up to $500, however, that’s also where MTM starts, so keeping it under that would be preferable to him.
- theskinnyguinea answered: Land’s End trad fit Year ‘Rounder Blazer, then drop some $$$ on alterations to slim up the torso.
- slothbearwolf answered: that sounds totally like the john w loro piana ish i saw today at the nordstrom rack (except they were cashmere). show him your john w.
- uglybabybaby answered: www.indo… your brother could have a well made suit tailored to his measurements with alterations guaranteed free-of-charge too
- cbenjamin said: Slap the shit out of him for being dumb and tell him to get something MTM!
- thesilentist posted this